Saturday 22 August 2009

Penny Black Paper Bag

At last weekend's craft retreat, my friend Cathy presented us each with a brown paper bag...it was her turn to set our friendly challenge, and she challenged us to create something using the paper bag...the rule being, that it could still be used to put something in. I decided to have a go at making a paper bag card...and started working on it while I was at the retreat. I used Penny Black hedgehog images (from the 'Wonderful' and 'Hugs' sets) and My Mind's Eye '29th Street Market' papers...keeping the same layout throughout. The brads, flowers and ribbon are all from Poppicrafts. I borrowed my friend Samantha's distressing tool at the retreat to distress all of the edges...liked the effect so much I had to get one! lol That kind of made it look like material, so I then used my Cutter Bee Bug to make the holes for the faux- stitching.

*Warning* - there are a LOT of photos! lol

Front View:


Inside Left:


Inside Right:


Back View:


Inside 'pages' together:


Front & Back 'pages together:


I've decided to give this to my Nan for her 90th birthday...so I've made a little tag with the sentiment on to put inside the bag. I used the same label Nesties to make this...the sentiment stamp is from the CCSR set by Papermania (stamped as two separate words), and the numbers were cut using the Cuttlebug 'Olivia' alphabet dies. I added a ribbon tab (to make it easier to remove from the bag), and have added a plain white panel to the back to write my message on. I'll probably be adding a few more things to the bag...but her birthday's not 'til November...so I've got plenty of time to sort all that.


I'm going to enter this for a couple of challenges: the Penny Black Saturday Challenge to use 'Stitching' on our cards; and the Pollycraft Challenge, which this week asked us to use our 'Favourite Things'...my favourite things are: Penny Black stamps, these My Mind's Eye papers (love them so much...I've just got some more!), and flowers.

Thanks Cathy for a fab challenge...I really enjoyed making this! ;0)

16 comments:

  1. Wow Helen - this is fabulous, must have taken you ages to make!
    Bet your Nan will be pleased!
    Lynne
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to add, if you find somewhere that sells the little distressing tools, would you let me know as I'd love one too, but I've never really seen any in the on-line shops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I think the pastel colors are great and the images are adorable. Wonderful job! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning project Helen! Am in total awe of your talent.
    Squirrel xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. eine ganz bezaubernde Karte.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW ...WOW ...WOW! This is just fabulous! So much work & detail, it's brilliant.
    Kaz xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow Helen these are all gorgoeus, love the designs and cute images.. fabulous stitching work hun. Thanks for joining us this week at PBSC
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend
    hugs
    Tracie :)x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Helen this is totally stunning - it must have taken hours of work and I love everything about it. The images and papers are gorgeous, and I love all your stitching! Thanks for joining in this week's PBSC :-)
    Pauline x

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow Helen...this is stunning and all from a paper bag..love it...love it...love it and great stitching..thanks for joining in the fun this week at PBSC...hugs kath xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow this is fabulous...your nan will love it.Thanks for joining us at pollycraft:)

    sue
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely amazing! I love everything about it especially the distressed edges and pretty papers! This looks like it took you ages, well done on being first! Gorgeous stitching detail too! Thanks for joining in with the PB challenge this week!

    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, this is breathtaking! What a terrific project! Wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful idea and so beautifully made. Love the images and the papers. Anesha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! Thanks for sharing! Your creativitiy has inspired me to share my love of stamping with all my friends.
    Thank you
    --
    Michell
    Home Security Systems no CREDIT CHECK everyone is approved

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing work -- Your Nan will absolutely love it! You made it worthy of a 90th celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow gorgeous work...stunning!!
    Thanks for joining us at Pollycraft & good luck.
    Emma x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment on my cards! Helen x