Monday 24 August 2009

Christmas Candle

When I saw that the theme for this week's Winter Wonderland Challenge was 'By Candlelight'...I knew straight away that I was going to make a stamped candle...which also fits in the 'Anything BUT a card' theme of the Truly Scrumptious Challenge. I made a few of these last Christmas to give as gifts, but I used watercoloured images then, so I thought I'd try something a little different, and do some heat embossing. I stamped my images (Hero Arts 'Flourish Tree with Stars', and some snowflakes from a set by Lakeland) with Versamark, on to white tissue paper, then embossed them with silver powder. I then cut carefully around the images (cutting as close to the edges as I dare!), and laid them on to my candle, using a small amount of PVA glue to help hold them in position. I wrapped a piece of grease proof paper tightly around the candle, then moving fairly quickly across the images, used my heat gun to 'fix' the images into the wax...it only takes a few seconds...the image appears clearer through the grease proof paper when it's done.


I wasn't sure whether it would work using heat embossed images, but I'm really pleased with the way it turned out...and it's certainly a lot less fiddly than trying to watercolour on tissue paper!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, this is fabulous Helen!
    Must try it myself sometime. . .
    Thanks for playing at Winter Wonderland this week.
    Hugs,
    Teri S
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Teamie!!

    Well this is just so beautiful - great job, have never done anything like this before, it looks great..

    thanks for joining us on TS

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SOOOOOO impressed Helen! Wow, it looks fabulous. My only attempt at this melted LOL! Squirrel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I thought the coloured ones were good but this is sooo eyecatching - fabulous image. I'm with Squirrel - my attempt last Christmas ended up a soggy mess in the bin ... clearly I need some tips from you lol!!
    Hugs
    pauline x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen this is fab! Such a beautiful image, but to put it onto a candle .... just gorgeous!

    Thank you for joining us at Winter Wonderland.

    Teri xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so beautiful Helen. Elegant and graceful. Love that tree stamp.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW fabulous candle looks very elegant. Will have to try this myself (what sort of tissue paper do you need?)
    Lyndsey xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is wonderful!!! The embossing is so elegant - fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow stunning! You pay a fortunes for candles like that in the shops x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is so awesome, Helen, I have never done this but it gives me the inspiration to try :0)
    *hugs* Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  11. BEAUTIFUL Helen.

    Hugs Riet.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh wow this is amazing, so beautiful...thanks for joining in with the Truly scrumptious challenge
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous Helen. The candle looks so stylish. Thanks for joining us at TS.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a gorgeous candle Helen. Love the image you've used. Thanks for joining us this week at TS. Hugs Michele x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment on my cards! Helen x