Wednesday 4 November 2020

ABC Christmas Challenge - W & X are for?

It's the first Wednesday of a new month, so that means it's time for a new ABC Christmas Challenge! Lynda is the host, and the themes are:

'W is for Winter Wonderland'
&
'X is for Xtra Special'

There's a fab prize on offer from Lynda for the lucky winner of this challenge:
Thirsty Brush & Co 'Home for Christmas' stamp & die set!

I got out one of my old Lili of the Valley stamps, 'Winter Bunnies' to create a clean & simple wintry card for the 'Winter Wonderland' theme. I stamped them on to watercolour paper, coloured them using watercolour pencils, then added some sparkle to the snow with some Stickles. I die cut a Chrstmas tree from a snippet of watercolour paper (using a Marianne Designs Creatable die), adding some Stickles to the branches of that too, then placed it along the edge of the card using 3D foam pads. I added a sentiment (form the Woodware 'Foxy Christmas' set), then distressed the edges a little, before adding the panel to a kraft card blank.


I used to think that 'Xtra Speacial' cards needed to have lots of 'stuff'' on them, but that's never really been my thing, and particularly thinking about postage for my Christmas cards (and I imagine that many more will be posted, rather than hand-delivered this year!), my style has become more minimal - especially with regards to layers & embellishments! So, for my 'Xtra Special' cards, I put more time and effort in to make them 'Xtra Special'. For this one, I created an embossed, inky background by stamping my 'Outline Snowflakes' background stamp (by Simon Says Stamp) on to smooth watercolour paper using Versamark Ink, then heat embossed it using 'Metallic Gold' embossing powder by WOW. I then blended Distress Inks over the top (Chipped Sapphire, Dusty Concord, Wilted Violet, Stormy Sky, Broken China & Weathered Wood). I then splattered some clean water over the top, and allowed it to remove some of the ink, to create a sort of 'snowy' effect. I loved the result so much, that I decided that I didn't want to cover it up, so stamped my sentiment (from the 'Letter It - Christmas' set by Ranger), again using Versamark Ink and heat embossing it using the same gold powder, on to a snippet of vellum. I carefully tore along the edges of the vellum, then wrapped it around my background, fixing it in place behind, before mounting everything on to some very 'Xtra' gold glitter card.


It's always to difficult to capture in a photo anything shiny or sparkly, but here's another try:




I'm also entering these cards into the following challenges:
For more inspiration from my lovely DT buddies, please pop over to the ABC Christmas Challenge.

15 comments:

  1. Gosh - both these cards are beautiful. Love the image and colouring on the first, but that second card - the embossing and ink blending - love those colours. Great idea to use vellum so as not to hide the background. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your festive inspiration, Helen. The bunny card is so cute and I really like the CAS design. Your special card is truly special! I love the rich colours and the gold is so fine and striking.
    Take care,
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful cards you are sharing today, Helen.
    Stay safe, Dorte xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is truly extra special! That background is glorious and the spattered snow adds texture and your own unique flair. Love the vellum embossed strip. What great idea! Thanks for sharing this with us at Penny's!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first card is just so cute. The Xtra special one is just amazing, love what you did, great inspiration - thank you. Thanks also for sharing with us at We Love Chocolate Baroque Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two great cards Helen, the first so sweet and such pretty colours on the second, thanks so much for sharing and joining us at this month challenge at We Love Chocolate Baroque.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, beautiful cards, Helen. I love the Xtra special one, the colours are beautiful. And the one with the bunnies is so cute and beautifully coloured. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those bunnies! I adore them! And you have coloured them so perfectly. Your Xtra special card is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute stamp and I love the blue snowflakes. I never get on with vellum but I like this torn idea. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both lovely cards. Thanks for entering your wonderful creation at The Crafter's Cafe this fortnight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my - just lovely - I especially like the colourings on the purple card - and you can see the shine - I find it difficult photgraphing glimmer and shine cards but you have done a great job!! See you at the snippets playgound again - Stay safe & well - Maurs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two absolutely lovely cards Helen! Who doesn't love LOTV images - and I do love your snippets card. Very elegant indeed.

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lily of the Valley has some of the sweetest images! These bunnies are adorable!!! What a great winter critter card! I have to say the other card is just gorgeous too! Stunning background! Glad you could play along with us at 2CCC with your winter bunny card. Thank you so much for sharing it with us and I hope you'll come back again soon!
    ~Karen, DT Member for 2 Crafty Critter Crazies
    Blog: MisplacedMojo.com IG: @misplacedmojo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a cute card. Thanks for sharing it with us at the Polkadoodles challenge Janet DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two fab cards -- one adorable, and the other is perfect in color and design

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment on my cards! Helen x