Wednesday 22 August 2012

ABC Christmas Challenge - Q is for...

This week it's my turn to host the ABC Christmas Challenge, and the theme I have chosen is:

'Q is for Quilting'
(Make a 'patchwork quilt' effect on your cards/projects)

We have two fabulous sponsors this time:


Prize from Lili of the Valley:


and


Prize from Crop Stop: a $15 Gift Certificate!

This is a technique I like to use when I've gathered lots of little scraps of patterned papers (I don't throw anything away...ever! lol), so I've made a little 'step by step' of how I made for card for this challenge...please excuse my messy craft mat!

1. Select your papers (I've used 'Eskimo Kisses' by BasicGrey) and colour your image (I've used 'Skating Along' by one of our sponsors, Lili of the Valley)


2. Cut a piece of co-ordinating piece of card to act as a base for your quilting, to attach to your card blank when completed, and play around with your scraps until you have a layout you like. I tried to have a mixture of differernt shapes and sizes, with an even spread of colours...don't worry, the bigger gap in the middle will be covered up when I add my image later :0)


3. Add some faux stitching (or real if you're handy with a sewing machine or needle & thread) - I did mine using my CutterBee bug and a white gel pen...I also distressed the edges ('cos I just can't help myself!), then adhere them to your base card.


4. Add your image and embellish as desired...I just added a few snowflakes (cut using Marianne Designs & Cuttlebug dies) and some glitter to allow the quilted background to be a real feature, then attach to your card blank.


I'm also entering this card into the following challenges:
For more inspiration from my lovely DT buddies, and our awesome guest designers, please pop over to the ABC Christmas Challenge.

10 comments:

  1. Helen this is just beautiful. Love everything about it. All the elements work so well together. Hope you are having a fab Wednesday.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    Doing Life
    Digistamps4Joy DT Member
    Tammy’s Scrapin Corner DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining us for this week’s ‘Oh So Girlie’ challenge at Lili’s Little Fairies with such a gorgeous card. Hope to see you again next week. Hugs Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card and a fab step by step guide too ! :-)

    I am just about to catch up with commenting when I spotted something on the PTW ,, I suggest you mosey on over there ,,,, :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Helen, This is just stunning lots of details added too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card and a fab way to use up scraps too. Hugs, Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen your card is super cute and LOVE the mini tutorial too! brilliant! and love those yummi papers hugs me xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm so glad that you set this challenge, it was so fun to play along with. Love your card
    Annette
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I saw you on ABC what a super demo. Thanks so much for sharing. Your card is lovely.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helen this is wonderful, thanks so much for the great instruction on the quilting technique

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card, Helen. Cute image and great papers. Love, Wilma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment on my cards! Helen x